Tune in over the next 8 weeks for valuable training tips from Chris Grayson, an expert half marathon runner. Let’s see what he has to say this week;
Training can be fun if you plan and focus on your goals. Make every step count, says Chris. Here are my top tips for this week!
1. Register for an event: By registering for an event, it gives you a target date to train towards and allows you to become focused on training.
2. Pick a training plan that suits you.
3. Pace yourself- gradually increase mileage to avoid injuries.
4. Join a running group: Training groups are a great way to stay motivated and improve your running performance.
5. Introduce cross training: Complement your training with swimming, cycling, yoga or pilates to optimise your strength, flexibility and level of fitness.
6. Rest and listen to your body: Rest is just as important as a running session. Your body needs time to recover and repair.
7. Keep it interesting-Vary your running routes to include hills, forest trails etc.
8. Get the right gear: The right shoes and gear can make the world of difference and it’s nice to look good too.
9. Stay healthy: Build a solid base for training with good hydration, a balanced diet and plenty of sleep.